Alice Greele's Tavern Marker

Dublin Core

Title

Alice Greele's Tavern Marker

Description

A three foot by four foot shadow box, framed in brown painted wood. On the top of the frame are the words "Historic Site" in gold letters. Inside on a white background are two smaller frames, also brown, one with a written description of the history and importance of the tavern and the other a painting of the building. Under the two small frames on the white back are the words Sponsored by Jordan's Meats.

Format

Coverage

Date Created

circa 1980

Date Modified

2012 (Destruction)

Medium

Wood
Glass

Spatial Coverage

Temporal Coverage

1775
1866

Historical Marker Item Type Metadata

Inscription

DURING THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR, ALICE GREELE"S TAVERN BECAME THE MOST FAMOUS ... IT WAS A TAVERN WHERE PATRIOTS OF THE TOWN GATHERED TO HEAR NEWS, CONSULT ON AFFAIRS, AS WELL AS TO MEET AND SOCIALIZE. WIDOW GREELE KEPT THE TAVERN FOR 30 YEARS AND SAVED IT FROM BURNING DURING THE BOMBARDMENT IN 1775. GREELE EXTINGUISHED FIRES AFTER SCOOPING UP HOT CANNON BALLS IN A PAN AND THROWING THEM INTO THE LANE. THE TAVERN WAS LATER MOVED TO WASHINGTON AVE, WHERE IT BURNED DURING THE GREAT FIRE IN 1866.

Files

Alice Greele's Tavern Marker.JPG

Citation

“Alice Greele's Tavern Marker,” Portland’s Historical Markers, accessed September 24, 2018, http://markers.portlandculturalhistory.org/items/show/9.

Geolocation