Memory Wheel

Dublin Core

Title

Memory Wheel

Description

A large stone circle that lies parallel to the ground. The circle is broken into three sections, each section with 19 items. The innermost section has names, the middle section has dates (year-year format), and the outermost section has sentences describing an event or accomplishments. Presumably the circles were meant to spin so they could be correctly aligned, but they are currently fixed in place.

Coverage

Date Created

1997

Medium

Granite

Spatial Coverage

Historical Marker Item Type Metadata

Inscription

Inside section: 

HUGH MCGRATH

CHARLES MCCARTHY JR

CATHERINE V. FEENEY

NICHOLAS SHEA

MARY K. LONGFELLOW

SUSAN BLUEFIELD

HARRY J. RAFTER

JOHN B. BROWN

MARY E. GULLINER

CATHERINE FRATES

JULIA FOLEY

JOHN BARBARUCK

SARAH A CONLEY

WILLIAM GORHAM

FATHER JOHN D. DONNELL

THOMAS GUINEY

CHARLES W HANSON

SARAH E  GORHAM

MARTHA  NORTON

DANIEL BROWN

THERESA G MOHAN

LOUIS J. MAQUIRE

JOHANNA K. WELCH

JAMES A BAXTER


Middle section:

c. 1776-1824

1852-1945

1830-1866

1895-1932

1805-1881

1840-1850

1840-1909

1857-1949

1828-1914

1872-1942

1777-1851

1821-1882

1837-1854

1847-1930

1901-1934

1866-1937

1879-1945

1889-1935

1881-1944

1813-1893

1831-1921

1849-1909

1828-1921

1900-1995



Outside section:

IMMIGRATED TO PORTLAND AT AGE FIFTEEN WAS A CHARTER MEMBER OF THE PORTLAND LONGSHOREMAN’S BENEVOLENT SOCIETY

PORTLAND POLICE CHIEF WHO APPEARED IN FRANCIS FORD’S MOVIE THE STRONG ARM SQUAD.  FILMED IN PORTLAND IN 1915

MAID AT THE LAFAYETTE HOTEL SHE LIVED WITH HER MOTHER AT 198 DANFORTH STREET

SOLD COUGH MEDICINE ON THE ROAD BEFORE OPENING THE EXCHANGE PHARMACY

WORKED AS A PHYSICIAN AT 85 PLEASANT STREET FOR OVER 20 YEARS

CO-FOUNDED THE PORTLAND PACKING COMPANY WHICH BUILT THE CANNERY BUILDING IN 1878

SECTION FORMAN FOR THE MAINE CENTRAL RAILROAD DIES AFTER BEING STRUCK BY A TRAIN ON DANFORTH STREET

PROMINENT CLOTHIER FOUNDER AND FIRST PRESIDENT OF THE IRISH –AMERICAN RELIEF ASSOCIATION

DEVOTED COMMUNICANT OF **TH ST. DOMINIC’S AND THE CATHEDRAL OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION MOTHER OF FIVE SONS.

HOSTED THE FIRST CATHOLIC MASS IN HIS HOUSE AT THE CORNER OF CROSS AND FORE STREETS IN 1822

PAINTED LAND AND SEASCAPES WHILE TRAVELING THE COAST OF MAINE WITH HER FATHER BOARDED AT 37 SOUTH STREET

ONE OF THE FEW  RESIDENTS KILLED AS A RESULT OF PORTLAND’S GREAT FIRE

VETERAN OF THE GREAT WAR WORKED AS A  BRAKEMAN FOR MAINE CENTRAL RAILROAD UNTIL HE LOST HIS ARM IN AN ACCIDENT

FOUNDER OF THE PORTLAND SUGAR COMPANY IN 1855 WHICH BECAME ONE OF THE LARGEST EMPLOYERS IN GORHAM’S CORNER

PLAYING AFTER SCHOOL ON RICHARDSON’S WHARF SHE FELL INTO THE HARBOR AND DROWNED

PORTUGUESE IMMIGRANT AND MOTHER OF FIFTEEN CHILDREN MARRIED FOR 58 YEARS

WORKED AS A CLERK FOR GEORGE C. SHAW CO AND FOR CUSHMAN’S BAKERY

FOREMAN AT THE PORTLAND PACKING COMPANY MARRIED THREE TIMES

BORN IN COUNTY GALWAY IRELAND IMMIGRATED TO PORTLAND  IN 1890

NEIGHBORHOOD STOREKEEPER AFTER WHOM GORHAM’S CORNER WAS NAMED

THE PRIEST OF ST DOMINIC’S WHO WAS OFTEN CALLED BY THE POLICE TO HALT STREET FIGHTS IN GORHAM’S CORNER

DIED IN A STREET FIGHT WITH THE CONNELLY BROTHERS HIS HEATH SPARKED A RIOT

A POLICEMAN WITH OVER 40 YEARS OF SERVICES HE WALKED THE GORHAM’S CORNER BEAT FOR 16 YEARS.

LIVED AT 57 DANFORTH STREET WHILE WORKING AS A BUYER FOR PORTEOUS, MITCHELL & BRAUN DIED OF COMPLICATIONS FROM APPENDICES

Files

DSC_1115.JPG
DSC_1143.JPG

Tags

Citation

“Memory Wheel,” Portland’s Historical Markers, accessed July 16, 2018, http://markers.portlandculturalhistory.org/items/show/76.

Geolocation