Friends (Quakers) Meeting House

Dublin Core

Title

Friends (Quakers) Meeting House

Description

Square stone pillar with two bronze plaques on the flat top of the marker which is angled at about 30 degrees. The plaque closest to the top of the marker is a bronze relief image of 5 people grouped together, pointing to the sky; they seem to be a family, with parents, two older children (son and daughter), and one small child. The son is holding a lantern and the daughter has a shawl with a star pattern draped over her uplifted arm. This plaque also has the title and information about the trail inscribed on it. The second plaque is lower on the pillar face. There is an image of the Quaker Meeting house in the upper left hand corner and a description of anti-slavery talks and rallies held here.

Coverage

Date Created

2007

Medium

Bronze
Granite

Temporal Coverage

1832
1836
1847

Historical Marker Item Type Metadata

Inscription

Friends (Quaker) Meeting Abolitionist William Lloyd Garrison started the Maine anti-slavery movement here with a speech given in 1832. Garrison advocated "immediate emancipation without compensation" to the slave-owners instead of colonizing free african americans to Liberia. In 1836 Portland's first pro-slavery riot occurred here during an anti-slavery speech by Henry Brewster Stanton. The meeting house was attacked again in 1847 when abolitionists Garrison, Frederick Douglass and Charles Lenox Remond attempted to lecture. Anti-slavery women successfully protected the speakers.

Files

Friends (Quakers) Meeting House.JPG

Citation

Maine Freedom Trails, Inc, “Friends (Quakers) Meeting House,” Portland’s Historical Markers, accessed July 16, 2018, http://markers.portlandculturalhistory.org/items/show/35.

Geolocation