Elm Street Theater Mask

Dublin Core

Title

Elm Street Theater Mask

Description

A stone comedy mask, originally part of the outside facade of a theater. The mask is laying on the ground, in planted section of the sidewalk with bushes and trees. There is an accompanying plaque that sits near the mask and bares the inscription.

Format

Coverage

Date Created

circa 1980

Medium

Bronze
Stone

Spatial Coverage

Temporal Coverage

1915-1952
1977

Historical Marker Item Type Metadata

Inscription

ELM STREET THEATER MASK

THIS MASK WAS FOUND IN 1977 DURING THE EXCAVATION OF THE PORTLAND PUBLIC LIBRARY AT ELM AND CONGRESS STREETS. IT WAS THE SINGLE - MOST IMPORTANT ARCHITECTURAL DETAIL OF THE FORMER ELM THEATER. THE ELM THEATER, WHICH STOOD AT ITS ELM STREET SITE FROM 1915 TO 1952, WAS THE WORK OF ARCHITECTURE WILLIAM R. MILLER AND RAYMOND J. MAYO OF PORTLAND. THE BEAUX-ARTS STYLE BUILDING FIRST SERVED AS A MOTION-PICTURE HOUSE AND LATER AS A CHURCH, A THEATER FOR WWII TROOPS AND A PLAYHOUSE FOR THE PORTLAND PLAYERS. THE MASK WAS INTENTIONALLY LEFT IN ITS FOUND STATE.

PLAQUE PRIVATELY DONATED

Files

DSC_1206.JPG
DSC_1203.JPG

Citation

“Elm Street Theater Mask,” Portland’s Historical Markers, accessed February 23, 2018, http://markers.portlandculturalhistory.org/items/show/303.

Geolocation