Abyssinian Church

Dublin Core

Title

Abyssinian Church

Description

Two plaques are embedded in the sidewalk in front of the Church The plaque closest to the the street is a bronze relief image of 5 people grouped together, pointing to the sky; they seems to be a family, with parents two older children (son and daughter) and one small child. The son is holding a lantern and the daughter has a shawl with a star pattern draped over her uplifted arm. This plaque also has the title and information about the trail inscribed on it. The second plaque is below the first. It has a small image of the Church building and an inscription about the history of the Church and its importance in the African American community in Portland.

Format

Coverage

Date Created

2007

Medium

Bronze

Spatial Coverage

Temporal Coverage

1828
1866

Historical Marker Item Type Metadata

Inscription

THE ABYSSINIAN CHURCH, 73 NEWBURY STREET, WAS THE MAJOR HUB OF THE UNDERGROUND RAILROAD IN MAINE AND BECAME THE SOCIAL CENTER FOR PORTLAND’S AFRICAN AMERICAN COMMUNITY.

BUILT IN 1828, THE CHURCH IS THE THIRD OLDEST AFRICAN AMERICAN CHURCH STILL STANDING IN THE U.S. AND THE FIRST BLACK CONGREGATION IN MAINE. IT BECAME THE FOURTH CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH IN PORTLAND. REUBEN RUBY PURCHASED THE LAND FOR THE CHURCH AND HIS SON FIREFIGHTER WILLIAM WILBERFORCE RUBY SAVED THE BUILDING IN THE FIRE OF 1866 BY WETTING IT DOWN.

Files

DSC_1182.JPG

Citation

Maine Freedom Trails, Inc, “Abyssinian Church,” Portland’s Historical Markers, accessed April 22, 2018, http://markers.portlandculturalhistory.org/items/show/30.

Geolocation