Gorham's Corner Marker

Dublin Core

Title

Gorham's Corner Marker

Description

Stone pillar with a bronze plaque on top. The pillar stands next to the John Ford statue. The inscription on the plaque covers the Corner's origin, history, and the fact it was the original location of the Irish population in the city.

Format

Coverage

Date Created

circa 1990

Medium

Granite
Bronze

Spatial Coverage

Temporal Coverage

1799
1835
1840-1849

Historical Marker Item Type Metadata

Inscription

GORHAM'S CORNER
A legendary place in Portland's history.
It was named after William Gorham, a grocer
who set up shop here in 1799, when the town was beginning to grow toward the West End and Center Street was still called Love Land.

For many years, the boys of the town would build great bonfires here on Tarbucket Night (Washington's Birthday). As Edward H Elwell wrote in the Boys of Thirty-Five which described the early history of this locality: "How rapidly passed those happy days that seemed then so long..."

Here settled the first Irish immigrants of the 1840's. They lived here for a hundred years until they prospered and moved on.

Files

DSC_1154.JPG

Citation

“Gorham's Corner Marker,” Portland’s Historical Markers, accessed November 15, 2018, http://markers.portlandculturalhistory.org/items/show/297.

Geolocation