Barber Shop of Jacob C. Dickson

Dublin Core

Title

Barber Shop of Jacob C. Dickson

Description

Square stone pillar with two bronze plaques on the flat top of the marker which is angled at about 30 degrees. The plaque closest to the top of the marker is a bronze relief image of 5 people grouped together, pointing to the sky; they seem to be a family, with parents, two older children (son and daughter), and one small child. The son is holding a lantern and the daughter has a shawl with a star pattern draped over her uplifted arm. The second plaque is lower on the pillar face. It has a small silhouette of a person holding a lamp, and a barber's pole and a description of Jacob C. Dickson and the barber shop's role in the Anti-Slavery movement

Format

Coverage

Date Created

2007

Medium

Granite
Bronze

Spatial Coverage

Temporal Coverage

1842

Historical Marker Item Type Metadata

Inscription

THE BARBER SHOP OF JACOB C. DICKSON ONCE STOOD AT 243 FORE STREET. HE WAS ELECTED SECRETARY OF THE PORTLAND UNION ANTI-SLAVERY SOCIETY ON JUNE 1, 1842

BARBER SHOPS WERE IMPORTANT CENTERS FOR THE EXCHANGE OF INFORMATION IN THE OPERATION OF THE UNDERGROUND RAILROAD. THE WIGS, BEARDS, AND OTHER FACIAL COVERINGS THEY SOLD COULD CHANGE THE APPEARANCE OF A PERSON. COOPERATING WITH HACK DRIVERS, DOMESTIC WORKERS, SECONDHAND CLOTHING DEALERS AND MARINERS, THEY WERE ESSENTIAL IN MOVING FUGITIVES TO FREEDOM IN CANADA AND ENGLAND

Files

Markers 9- the Reckoning - 11 (1).jpg

Citation

Maine Freedom Trails, Inc, “Barber Shop of Jacob C. Dickson,” Portland’s Historical Markers, accessed September 24, 2018, http://markers.portlandculturalhistory.org/items/show/28.

Geolocation