Cleeves and Tucker Memorial

Dublin Core

Title

Cleeves and Tucker Memorial

Description

It is composed of a light gray granite pier that sits on top of three rectangular blocks: the bottom block, the largest, is about 3 feet square and a foot and a half tall, the next is about 6 inches smaller and also a foot and a half tall; and the top stone is again 6 inches smaller, making it 2 feet square, and about one foot tall. In total the obelisk stands about 14 feet tall. The middle block has four previous names for the city on it. Starting at the front (the side facing the street) and proceeding clockwise, they read “Machigonne.,” “Falmouth.,” “Portland.,” and “Casco.” The body of the pier, about halfway up each side, has an inscription. The front reads: “In honor of George Cleeves. Founder of Portland 1633.” Continuing clockwise, the side on the left reads: “Here landing with George Cleeves, his wife Joan, and daughter Elizabeth. His partner Richard Tucker, and his wife Margaret.” The back reads, “Erected July 4th, 1882,” and the last side reads, “Deputy President of the Province of Lygomia 1643-1658.”

Format

Coverage

Date Created

1882

Medium

Granite

Temporal Coverage

1633
1643-1658

Historical Marker Item Type Metadata

Inscription

MACHIGONNE (Front Base) FALMOUTH (Left Base) PORTLAND (Back Base) CASCO (Right Base) IN HONOR OF GEORGE CLEEVES. FOUNDER OF PORTLAND 1633 (Front Column) HERE LANDING WITH GEORGE CLEEVES, HIS WIFE JOAN AND DAUGHTER ELIZABETH. HIS PARTNER RICHARD TUCKER, AND HIS WIFE MARGARET. (Left Column) ERECTED JULY 4th, 1882 (Back Column) DEPUTY PRESIDENT OF PROVINCE OF LYGOMIA 1643-1658 (Right Column)

Files

Cleeves Monument.JPG

Citation

William Goodwin (Designer), “Cleeves and Tucker Memorial,” Portland’s Historical Markers, accessed July 16, 2018, http://markers.portlandculturalhistory.org/items/show/2.

Geolocation