City Hall Plaque- Right

Dublin Core

Title

City Hall Plaque- Right

Description

Bronze plaque on the right side of the main entrance to Portland City Hall. Inscription describes the history of the site and building. It also includes the people associated with constructing the current building.

Format

Coverage

Date Created

circa 1910

Medium

Bronze

Temporal Coverage

1786
1866

Historical Marker Item Type Metadata

Inscription

CITY BUILDING
CUMBERLAND COUNTY COURT
HOUSE IN 1786 WAS FIRST PUBLIC
BUILDING ERECTED ON THIS SITE
NEW COURT HOUSE BUILT HERE IN
1816 TWO WINDS ADDED IN 1831
USED AS STATE CAPITOL FROM
1820 TO 1832. CITY AND COUNTY
BUILDING ERECTED IN 1858-9
PARTIALLY DESTROYED BY FIRE
JULY 4, 1866 AT ONCE RESTORED
BUILDING AGAIN BURNED JAN-
UARY 24, 1908. PLANS FOR THIS
BUILDING ADOPTED BY CITY
COUNCIL OCTOBER 5, 1908. FIRST
CONTRACT FLACED JULY 24, 1909
CORNER STONE LAID OCTOBER 6, 1909
BUILDING COMPLETED AUGUST 1912
BUILDING COMMISSION
ADAM P. LEIGHTON MAYOR 1908-9 CHAIRMAN
JOHN F.A. MERRILL RICHARD C. PAYSON
CHARLES A. STROUT, MAYOR, 1910 EX-OFFICIO
OAKLEY C. CURTIS, MAYOR, 1911-12 EX-OFFICIO
ARCHITECTS
JOHN M. CARRERE AND THOMAS HASTINGS
OF NEW YORK
ASSOCIATE ARCHITECTS
JOHN CALVIN STEVENS & JOHN HOWARD STEVENS
OF PORTLAND MAINE
CONSULTING ENGINEER
OWEN BRAINARD OF NEW YORK
CHIEF CONTRACTORS
NORCROSS BROS. CO. OF WORCESTER MASS.

Files

City Hall Plaque- Right.JPG

Citation

City of Portland, “City Hall Plaque- Right,” Portland’s Historical Markers, accessed September 24, 2018, http://markers.portlandculturalhistory.org/items/show/12.

Geolocation