City Hall Plaque- Left

Dublin Core

Title

City Hall Plaque- Left

Description

Bronze plaque on the left side of the main entrance to Portland City Hall. Inscription outlines the history of the city from 1632 to 1900.

Format

Coverage

Date Created

circa 1910

Medium

Bronze

Temporal Coverage

1632-1899

Historical Marker Item Type Metadata

Inscription

ITS INDIAN NAME MACHIGONNE SETTLED IN 1632 BY GEORGE CLEEVE AND RICHARD TUCKER AND KNOWN FOR MANY YEARS AS CASCO NECK SETTLEMENT DESTROYED BY INDIANS IN 1676 RE-SETTLED IN 1680 BUT WAS AGAIN DESTROYED BY THE FRENCH AND INDIANS IN 1690 RE-SETTLED IN 1716 BOMBARDED BY BRITISH FLEET OCTOBER 16, 1775 AND PARTLY BURNED WAS PART OF FALMOUTH FROM THE ORGANIZATION OF THAT TOWN IN 1718 UNTIL IN-CORPORATED AS TOWN OF PORTLAND JULY 4, 1786 CITY CHARTER ADOPTED IN 1832 IN MARCH 1820 THE DISTRICT OF MAINE WAS SEPARATED FROM MASSACHUSETTS AND ADMITTED TO THE UNION PORTLAND THEN BECAME THE STATE CAPITAL AND CONTINUED AS SUCH UNTIL 1832 ON JULY 4 1866 ONE-THIRD OF THE CITYS BUSINESS AND RESIDENTIAL AREA SWEPT BY FIRE. IN 1899 THE CITY OF DEERING WAS ANNEXED AND MADE A PART OF THE CITY

Files

City Hall Plaque- Left.JPG

Citation

City of Portland, “City Hall Plaque- Left,” Portland’s Historical Markers, accessed November 15, 2018, http://markers.portlandculturalhistory.org/items/show/1.

Geolocation